How Do I Dispose of...
Television & Computer Monitors
Click here to complete the request online or call 914-738-2015 and request to be added to the list for TV and monitor pickup. This list typically becomes filled in about two weeks, at which time someone will contact you (24 hours in advance of pickup) and remind you to place the TV/monitor out at the curb. The screen must be protected by heavy-duty tape, and placed in an X over the screen.
If you are doing renovations to your home or business, and the job does not require a dumpster, a special pickup must be arranged with your contractor or a private carting company. Construction debris will not be picked up during normal trash and rubbish collection. The use of a dumpster requires a permit.
Picked up on your assigned day.
Items accepted include:
- Glass food and beverage containers
- Metal food and beverage containers, aluminum trays, and empty aerosol cans
- Plastic commonly used for food, beverage, detergents, etc.
- Paper items such as newspapers, magazines, phone books, letters, and envelopes
- Corrugated Cardboard (broken down and tied)
Do not tie anything in bundles (except cardboard), or place anything in plastic bags. Please rinse all plastic/metal items.
Items not accepted include:
- Polystyrene foam
- Waxed cardboard
Picked up on your assigned day.
Items accepted include:
- Carpets (3-foot lengths and bundled)
Items not accepted:
- Bulk metal
- Construction debris
- Computer monitors
Picked up by on your assigned day.
- Hot water heaters
Place these items curbside.
Air conditioners and refrigerators will only be accepted after all polystyrene foam has been removed (requires sticker).
Organic Yard Waste
Picked up on your assigned day:
- Areas A and B: Every Wednesday of the month (April 14 through October 13)
All grass clippings, flowers, brush, branches, and twigs are placed in a biodegradable bag or open plastic container. All items must be placed curbside and cannot be a mixed load. Leaves must be placed curbside for pickup by the village.
Areas A and B: Monday through Friday (March 15 through April 30 and October 15 through December 15 by Village Department of Public Works (DPW)). All leaves must be placed curbside during loose-leaf season which is between March 15th and April 30th and from October 15th to December 15th. There is no set schedule as to when your leaves will be picked up, but all leaves will be removed before the end of the season. Do not mix leaves with other yard and organic waste or logs/stumps/branches.
Lawn maintenance equipment powered by internal combustion engines, including, but not limited to, lawn mowers and leaf blowers, shall not be operated in the Village of Pelham, except at the following times:
- On weekdays between 8 am and 5:30 pm, except grass may be cut with an internal-combustion engine lawn mower by an occupant of the premises where it is being cut on weekdays between the hours of 5:30 pm and 8 pm
- On Saturdays between 10 am and 5 pm
- On Sundays and holidays between noon and 4 pm
The operation of leaf blowers shall be limited to the time period between March 15th and April 30th, inclusive, and October 15th and December 15th, inclusive, of each calendar year.
Food Scrap Recycling
Residents can bring all food scraps to the Food Scrap Drop-Off Site located at 195 Sparks Avenue in VoP Parking Lot 7 (north of the DPW yard) open daily. All food scraps are accepted including:
- Raw and cooked food
- Cut flowers
Email food scrap recycling for more information.
Hazardous Household Waste
Visit the Household Material Recovery Facility (H-MRF) website for information about hazardous household waste disposal.
Air Conditioners, Freezers, Etc.
These items listed, in addition to any other items that contain the chemical Freon, cannot be disposed of as bulk metal. The owner must have the Freon removed from the appliance prior to disposal. Please consult the private vendor who removes the Freon on the best method of disposal of the appliance, or put it out for bulk metal (w/sticker). The following are private vendors that remove Freon. The Village provides the following numbers for reference only and does not endorse any vendor.
- Brookfield Metal of Elmsford - 914-592-5250 (Free of charge)
- All State Air Conditioning of Mount Vernon - 914-668-8211 (Fee required)
- Dockery's Appliances of Mount Vernon - 914-664-1227 (Fee required)
- Tiso Appliances of Pelham - 914-738-1221 (Fee required)
Throughout Westchester, the recommended method for getting rid of oil and latex paints is by hardening the paint and putting it out with the trash. Paint can be hardened by air drying it, and adding absorbent materials such as kitty litter, to speed up the process. There are also commercially made paint hardeners available for purchase.
A new product on the market called Waste Paint Hardener can harden a gallon of latex paint in minutes. Kitty litter is best for use when hardening oil-based paints. If you have latex paint to dispose of, you may want to give Waste Paint Hardener a try. Below is a list of vendors that carry this product. Availability is not guaranteed.
- Caruso Paint and Hardware - 914-738-4778
- Wise Hardware - 914-738-1954
- Bedford Hardware - 914-234-3695
- Chubby's Hardware - 764-5125
- Cornell's True Value - 914-961-2400
- Foley Hardware - 914-834-7200
- Katonah Paint - 914-232-7797
- Tuckahoe Paint - 914-961-4880
- North White Plains - 914-948-4000
- Bedford Hills - 914-241-1666
- Mahopac - 845-621-1131
- Ossining - 914-941-1900
- Peekskill - 914-737-0333
- Port Chester - 914-939-7600
- Yonkers - 914-779-6767
- Yorktown - 914-962-3000
Thrown Away in the Garbage:
- Non-rechargeable alkaline
- Non-rechargeable carbon zinc
- Rechargeable alkaline
Take to a drop-off site or Household Chemical Clean-Up Day:
- Rechargeable nickel cadmium
- Sealed lead acid
- Nickel hydride
Drop off at a local retailer that sells car batteries. State law requires these retailers to accept, free of charge, up to 2 vehicle batteries per person per month.
Take used motor oil to a local service station or to a local retailer that sells motor oil. State law requires that most retailers and service stations accept, free of charge, up to 5 gallons per person per day. Oil must be in a clean and unbreakable plastic container with a tight-fitting lid. Do not mix the oil with any other fluid.
Drain the oil from the filter. Wrap the filter in newspaper and dispose of it in the garbage.
1 & 2-Pound Propane Tanks
Residual gas should be burned off through regular uses and put out for pickup.
20-Pound BBQ Propane Tanks
The following companies accept these tanks and may charge a small fee. Before placing a propane tank in your vehicle, empty it through the normal use of your grill and seal it with the plastic cap provided. Replacement caps are available at local hardware stores. If your tank is in a condition to be refilled, consider giving it to a friend, neighbor, or family member to use for their grill.
- Brookfield Metal Company - Elmsford, NY 914-592-5250
- American Compressed Gases - Yonkers, NY 914-968-8708
- Tech Air - White Plains, NY 914-949-5151
- Crestwood RV - Tuckahoe, NY 914-961-4400
Radioactive Medical Waste
- Take each individual soiled product and put it in a sealed plastic bag or container
- Place this bag in a plastic refuse bag given to you by your healthcare provider
- This bag is marked with a "safe date" determined by your healthcare provider
- Once the "safe date" passes, place your sealed refuse bag with your regular trash
- Do not place materials in the trash until after the "safe date"
- If you are unable to keep the sealed refuse bag in your home until the "safe date", you may deliver this sealed bag to the hospital or healthcare provider where you received the radioactive material.
The Village of Pelham does not endorse any of the private vendors or products listed here and takes no responsibility for your transactions or use. Furthermore, there is no guarantee by the Village of Pelham, NY that vendors will provide the service listed and makes no assurances that a fee will not be charged for the service.
The information listed here is supplied for reference purposes only.