The Village Department of Public Works is preparing for seasonal leaf cleanup. Every year, the Department of Public Works collects approximately 1,200 tons of fall leaves and yard debris. The 2023 Fall Leaf Collection Program will commence on October 15, 2023, and continue through December 15, 2023.
DO'S AND DONT'S
- Pile leaves neatly on the grass near the edge of the road/curbline
- Only pile leaves, nothing else, all other organics must be bagged
- Keep the leaf piles on your own property
- Use biodegradable paper bags only for yard waste (grass clippings, twigs, dead plants, etc.) All tree brush must be tied separately and placed curbside with yard waste for collection.
- Place leaves in the roadway which can create traffic safety issues
- Block any walkways/sidewalks with leaf piles
- Place grass clippings, branches, or any other material with the leaves
- Pile leaves near fire hydrants, storm drain catch basins, or near corners where they can create a visual obstruction or block the flow of stormwater to the catch basin, causing localized flooding
- Place leaf piles over items that can cause damage, such as roadside boulders, gravel driveways/walkways, landscape lights, sprinkler heads, etc.
Residents should put leaves at the curb or edge of the street (not in the street) and should NOT be commingled with brush and pine needles.
DON'T place your leaves in the street as pictured below:
All loose leaves are to be placed curbside between March 15th and April 30th and again between October 15th and December 15th. The Village Public Works Department picks up every day and works its way around the Village picking up a section at a time on a revolving basis. No pick up after Dec.15th. After December 15th items must be held until loose leaf pickup begins again on March 15th. Do not mix twigs, branches, rubbish, or any other materials in the leaf piles as they contaminate the piles and they will not be accepted at the organic waste site.
Gas-Powered Leaf Blowers: The Village does not allow gas-powered leaf blowers to be used from May 1st to October 14th and from December 16th to March 14th. Violations by a property owner or your lawn maintenance provider can result in enforcement action against the property owner including a $250.00 fine, by Village Police. Please use the attached flyer to distribute to property owners or lawn maintenance providers.
Christmas trees are picked up curbside from December 26th to January 31st only. Trees must be bare of all ornaments, lights, and stands, with no garlands, and no wreaths. Trees wrapped in garbage bags will not be picked up.
No organic pick-up between December 15th and March 15th. Items must be held.